Sometimes I get slapped in the face by the terrible, mundane, normal, hopeless life Christ saved me from.
I've been slapped twice in the past 2 days.
I may be stubborn enough to not stop after the first slap & examine my heart & my situation to see what caused it...but I am not dumb enough to go for a third round...so here are some thoughts on my findings after careful examination:
I have a story that points to nothing but Christ's sovereign redemption. (Well it points to everything Christ, but if you just hear it...you think most about His sovereign redemption...)
3 Examples:
Enslaved: I rushed in a secular sorority & learned really quickly how to run wild with my worldly desires. I was learning from the best. Girls that were broken & sad- all filling their empty lives with deep & terrible lies. Alcohol, drugs, sex, boys, friends...any of those that would help "fix" them.
Redeemed: This very same sorority, that was used to bring me to the darkest & most depraved areas of sin, was where I broke under all the weight. This same sorority had a sweet sister that knew & loved the Lord deeply, constantly speaking/showing Truth to each of us. The Spirit used this sorority sister to help in finally bringing me to Him.
(let me also give credit to another friend & my Godly family)
Enslaved: I lied for a semester about going & being involved at The Village. My roommate was what I turned around & told my parents I was...I had never actually stepped foot in the door.
Redeemed: I shamefully excepted an invite to visit TVC, from a new friend at my new school.(transferred after coming to Christ) Two weekends later I was asked to host the homegroup on campus, in my apartment. The next month I was signed up for CMC. The next semester I was volunteering weekly in the office. The next summer I was moving up to Lewisville to be in community at the HV campus...& it keeps going...
Enslaved: During my darkest, most deceitful, times before coming to Christ. I was trying to make my parents happy & keep face with the whole "good lil Christian" front I had so easily perfected. I finally decided I would go to this little church where no one would really know me & I would never have to really reveal anything about myself. I started going to Grace Temple Baptist Church in Denton Tx.
Redeemed: My first weekend at TVC- I heard announcements about the new campus...shortly after TVC Denton launched in that little church that meant nothing but deceit for me. Even now, Christ continues to reveal His redemption in the situation by surrounding me with incredible friends from that campus...all who are pouring life into me & challenging me...not just letting me sit in the back & use it as a "cover".
I see a theme...
Enslaved: lying...deceit...
Redeemed: Christ love through sovereign circumstance
In Ephesians, Paul opens his letter with a blessing that sets up the two main themes; Christ reconciled all of creation & united the church to Himself. In 1:3-14, he says:
"3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."
In the original Greek, this was one, long sentence. "Paul shows that the triune God initiated & accomplished cosmic reconciliation & redemption for the praise of His glory."(ESV Study Bible) Then in verse seven you see the word "redemption".
I love this word. (so much so, I sport it year round through some permanent ink)
Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary says; "the purchase back of something that had been lost, by the payment of a ransom. A word occurring nine times in Scripture, and always with the idea of a ransom or price paid..."
ESV Study Bible says; "redemption denotes ransoming someone from captivity or from slavery."
I was chosen & redeemed from the slavery of sin, through the Cross. Each of my examples I was enslaved to some form of sin & later redeemed by some form of God's immense grace...normally through what I refer to as 'sovereign circumstance.'
What a story of redemption...
What a story of love...
What a story I am unworthy to be apart of...
What a story I am grateful is nonfiction...
What a redeeming love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment